Monday, November 4, 2024

A Single Step

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Attributed to Laozi / Lao Tzu.

Perhaps the first step is contemplating a destination. Regardless, between it and the visible "first step" exists an unseen and potentially infinite dimensional gap--the chasm between an invisible idea and a visible action. And whether one manages to take that first step and decides to stop at some point or continues until reaching one's destination, isn't it remarkable that we all have the ability to experience an intersection between the infinite and the finite by taking a single step? 

August 31, 2024 is when I finally took my first step in archery. Though I tried shooting with a compound bow on two short occasions several years before, this was the first time I experienced archery as I had always envisioned--a simple bow with a set of arrows. Little did I know that a single step was the beginning of an exciting lifelong journey!


One step led to another that afternoon, and eventually my first bullseye from ~20 yards. :)


After many more steps (and additional arrows), most found their way to the target before the end of the day. And every arrow since then (whether they fell from the bow, missed the mark, or hit the target) has been an additional step on this joyful journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Small Step for Man

One giant leap for me! Two days and quite a few arrows later, I'm beginning to manage a better grouping at around 20 yd. Shooting arrows...